Have you been ignoring painful twinges in your teeth? Root canal therapy may offer relief of your tooth pain. The therapy is just one of the services that dentist Dr. George Mui offers in his Mt. Prospect, IL, office.
How can a root canal help me?
Root canals are recommended if you have a painful inflammation or infection in your tooth pulp. The pulp, a soft mass of tissue, blood vessels and nerves, played an important role in the formation of your tooth but isn't quite so vital now. In fact, your tooth can function normally when the pulp is removed during a root canal. Root canals end your pain and also save your tooth. If you have an inflammation or infection and don't have a root canal, you will eventually lose your tooth.
What happens during a root canal?
Root canal therapy may sound a little scary but isn't much different than having a cavity filled. After your Mt. Prospect dentist opens your tooth, he'll remove your tooth pulp, thoroughly clean the interior, then clean and shape the root canals with a tiny file. In most cases, you'll leave the office with a temporary filling. In about a week, you'll return for your second appointment and receive a permanent filling. Your dentist may also recommend that you add a crown to the treated tooth, as root canal therapy can weaken teeth and increase the risk of cracks or fractures.
How can I tell if I need a root canal?
You may have one or more of these signs or symptoms if a pulp infection or infection is to blame for your pain.
- Sensitivity: Inflamed or infected teeth are often very sensitive to temperature extremes. Drinking an ice-cold beverage or a piping hot piece of apple pie can trigger pain that lasts as long as 30 minutes.
- Pain: Pain can be constant or come and go. You may also notice an increase in pain when you chew or push on the tooth.
- Gum Changes: Red, swollen gums may occur if you need a root canal.
- Darkening: Teeth sometimes change color if they're inflamed or infected.
- Dental Abscess Symptoms: Dental abscesses occur when you have a bacterial infection in your tooth pulp. Symptoms include severe pain, fever, swollen lymph nodes, facial swelling, pus around the tooth or a pimple-like bump on the gum. Call the dentist immediately if you experience these symptoms.
Root canal therapy can help you save your tooth and relieve your pain. Call Mt. Prospect, IL, dentist Dr. George Mui at (847) 253-5901 to schedule your appointment.